Add sparkle and colour to a simple jar that is a tea light holder using a simple technique and common items found in your craft supply box. In minutes, transform a plain recycled glass jar into an elegant candle holder. Choose the colour and design of your beading to reflect a holiday season or decor for a party. Use a brightly coloured tea candle along with clear beads for a contrasting tea light holder. Add coloured wire for even more punch.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Glass jar, either recycled baby food jar or small Mason jar
- Thin craft wire
- Wire cutters
- Various sizes, shapes and colours of glass beads
- Aluminium foil
- Tea light candle
Clean your jar and dry thoroughly. Trim a piece of wire that wraps around the outer rim of the jar with one to two inches of excess. Wrap the wire around the outer rim and thread beads onto the wire. Secure by twisting the ends around the main wire band to create a smooth seam.
Cut a piece of wire that is between one and three inches long. Twist one end of this wire along the initial wire. Thread beads along the wire piece and wrap the beaded wire around the jar. Twist the end of the wire along the initial wire to hold in place.
Continue with another short piece of wire attached to the second piece of wire attached to the jar. Thread beads and wrap around the jar, securing the end to the second piece to hold the wire in position. Continue this process to attach as many strands of wire as you prefer to decorate your tea light jar.
Fold a small piece of aluminium foil and place in the bottom of the glass jar for added shimmer and protection when burning your tea candle. Insert your tea light candle into the beaded jar.
Tips and warnings
- Use different textures of beads, including smooth glass beads and beads made from wood.
- Spell out names or words using beads found in children's art supplies that have letters printed on them.
- For the holidays, use beads that are shaped into miniature figurines.
- Find charms used for necklaces or charm bracelets and add them in place of beads for a personalised gift.
- Do not use one continuous beaded wire across the entire surface or the wire could sag and not hold its shape.
- Never replace the metal wire with cloth string because the wire is fire resistant.
- Never leave the lit tea candle unattended.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for