Something about carp fishing turns ordinary fishernmen into bakers and chemists. There may be no group of anglers more obsessed with developing the "perfect" bait. Most carp baits are in dough form, and while there are a number of variables, many baits follow the same basic formula, with one or two "secret ingredients.". This recipe will allow you to maka a basic dough bait, with several such ingredients to choose from.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 cups sifted white flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- warm water
- plastic zipper bag
In a medium-sized bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup cornmeal, and 1 teaspoon sugar.
Add 1 of the following ingredients: 1 teaspoon liquid beaver castor, 1/2 teaspoon bergamot oil, 2 tablespoons prune juice, 1/2 teaspoon chenapodium oil, 1 tablespoon cherry extract, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon fennel oil, 1 tablespoon fig extract, 1/2 teaspoon honey essence, 1/2 teaspoon lavender, 1/2 teaspoon oil of lovage, 1 teaspoon of sweet birch, 1 teaspoon orris root oil, 1/2 teaspoon oecan oil, 1 teaspoon peppermint oil, 1/2 teaspoon rue oil, 1/2 teaspoon tonka bean extract, 1 teaspoon wintergreen oil, 1/2 teaspoon valerian oil, 1 teaspoon banana extract. Any of these ingredients will work, but use only 1 per batch.
While stirring, slowly add warm water until the dough becomes sticky and you can knead it with gloved hands. Roll the dough in cornmeal until the surface is coated.
Place the dough in a plastic zipper bag and keep it refrigerated until you are ready to go fishing. Do not cook or bake the dough.
When fishing, break off small chunks of the dough and mould them onto your hook in 3/4 inch balls. Keep the unused dough in a cooler while you are fishing.
Tips and warnings
- This is only one of many carp bait recipes. Experimentation and a willingness to try new things are the best ways to find the bait that works best on the waters you fish. Carp baits are often made using ingredients as diverse (and sometimes bizarre) as buttermilk, cottage cheese, cherry soda and blueberry pie filling.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for