Southern belles are known by their honeysuckle speech. There are few who do not enjoy the sound of a Southern woman asking "ya'll" to join her for a dance or sip of mint julep. While the belles from Alabama and Georgia come by their linguistic habits naturally, don't despair, as you, too, can learn the belle dialect. Open your parasol, tilt your head becomingly and learn how to speak like a true Southern girl.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Take it slow when you converse. The drawl is drawn out so that all those slow-witted folks from other parts can understand you. Make those syllables count by stressing them and breathing in the middle. For example, "That dress looks just perfect on you."
Drip your words with lots of sugar and syrup. Southern belles are sweet, in case you haven't heard. Call all your friends and family by endearments such as "honey pie" and "peaches" no matter what gender they are.
Learn the proper phrases that all Southern belles rely on. Courtesy of the Ashlandbelle's Southern Sayings Page are the following southerisms: "I do declare" or "Well, shut my mouth" when you are surprised; "like two peas in a pod" when someone is just like you; "Do go on" when you want to hear more but dont believe it; "You're a sight for sore eyes" when you've missed someone; and "He's barkin' up the wrong tree" when someone is mistaken.
Bless everybody's heart all the time. It doesn't matter whether you feel sorry for them, are mad, jealous or happy. The sentiment works for every occasion. For instance, if a girl at a party is wearing a really tacky dress, it is only polite to pull her close and whisper into her ear, "Well, bless your heart."
Extend invitations to all you meet with spot on Southern talk. Tell everybody to "Sit a spell" on the veranda and share a bowl of grits. Tell your friends they can go "hog-wild" at your "pig pickin'" or enjoy the "shindig" when they take a swig of some party "fixin's."
Flirt with all the Southern gentlemen with your adorable talk. Let the belle shine through when you compliment them on their "darlin' hound dog" and "big ol' bulging muscles." What man can resist the lovely language spoken by a Southern lady?
Tips and warnings
- Don't despair if some folks don't take to your Southern speakin'. The Alphadictionary states that regional dialects are simply variations in standard speech and no reflection on intelligence or education.
- Do nor curse or, rather, "cuss." It is hardly ladylike, and a Southern belle does not let such vulgarity pass her lips.
- Southern belle speech should never reveal any nastiness no matter what the situation. She always "wins" by keeping her cool and keeping her talk charming and above reproach, despite the hot summer sun or infuriating comments from less cultivated folk.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for