When choosing a sewing machine for home use, a quality machine will ensure a pleasant sewing experience as well as crafting success. A Bernina 1120 is an inexpensive option, as it is an older but reliable machine.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Set up the sewing machine in an open space with plenty of room around the machine. Be sure there is adequate light and room to feed material through the machine.
Fill the bobbin, using the bobbin threader on the top of the machine.
Insert the bobbin into the bobbin casing and thread the machine.
Ensure the presser foot currently installed on the machine is appropriate for the stitch chosen. A zigzag stitch will require a different presser foot than a straight stitch.
Use a scrap of fabric to test the tension setting on the machine. Tension is correct when the stitching is even. Adjust the tension setting if necessary.
Lift the presser foot using the pedal lift located just behind the needle. Place material under the presser foot and drop the presser foot. The foot will help secure the fabric as the feed dog pushes the fabric forward. Do not push or pull on the material while sewing, only guide the material.
Press on the foot pedal, lightly. The greater the pressure applied to the foot pedal, the faster the machine will sew. It is recommended that a beginning user should sew slowly for safety.
Adjust the stitch pattern if necessary. The Bernina 1120 does have a few embroidery options preprogrammed. They are a nice option for embellishing a design.
Tips and warnings
- Consider the service options available regionally before purchasing a machine. The Bernina 1120 is a computerised machine and can only be serviced by a Bernina certified repair shop.
- Before changing the stitching pattern, ensure the appropriate presser foot is on the machine. If the opening of the presser foot is too small for the stitch pattern chosen, the needle may be broken.
- Manuals can be purchased online if needed.
- Always purchase quality thread that is appropriate for the task at hand. Cheap thread can damage the machine and cause unnecessary headaches for the user.
- Improperly threading the machine can cause damage to the machine.
- Refer to the manual if you are unsure how to complete any tasks.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for