Potatoes can be a finicky food to cook. With a little know-how of proper potato cooking techniques, you can easily pan roast potatoes as a delicious side dish to a balanced meal. A method that gives maximum flavour, nutrition and ensures they don't stick to the pan is to cook the potatoes in extra virgin olive oil.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 4 small to medium baking potatoes
- Large non-stick frying pan or grill pan
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 10-inch piece of aluminium foil
Preheat the frying pan to medium heat.
Slice the potatoes in equal size wedges. The potato wedges should be of similar size to apple slices. It is important to cut the potatoes to equal sizes to ensure they cook evenly. Set potato wedges aside.
Add the extra virgin olive oil to the hot pan. Spread the oil evenly to coat the pan by moving the pan slowly in small circles, being careful that the oil does not splash. This is the most important step to ensure the potatoes do not stick. If the oil does not completely coat the pan, add an additional tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Allow the oil to heat in the hot pan for 2 to 3 minutes.
Place the potatoes carefully in the pan, avoiding overcrowding. The potatoes should immediately begin to sizzle. Lay the aluminium foil on top of the pan so the oil does not splash. Allow the potatoes to cook for 6 to 7 minutes with the foil cover.
Remove the foil and turn the potatoes over; allow them to cook for another 6 to 7 minutes. The potatoes should begin to soften.
Add an additional tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil if there is no oil in the bottom of the pan. Toss the potatoes in the added oil. Carefully lift any potatoes that are stuck to the pan. The additional coating of oil should prevent the potatoes from sticking again.
Continue turning potatoes every 6 to 7 minutes until they become fork tender. The potatoes should take about 30 minutes to cook thoroughly.
Add salt and pepper to the potatoes right before cooking is complete. Do not add the salt and pepper too early in the cooking process, as the spices will burn and change the overall taste and texture of the potatoes.
Tips and warnings
- Place potatoes in the microwave on high for 5 minutes to decrease cooking times. Add additional spices to create a more lively dish, such as basil or garlic.
- Be careful when cooking with hot oil as it has a tendency to splash.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for