Striking fear and concern in most homeowners, Stachybotrys mould is known by many as toxic mould. Stachybotrys mould itself is actually not toxic. However, it does produce mycotoxins that can cause health complications that include aggravating asthma conditions and respiratory problems. Stachybotrys mould can also cause less dangerous, but nonetheless annoying, problems, such as filling the area with an unpleasant musty odour, staining and deteriorating the surface on which it grows.
Fill a bucket with 1 gallon of water. Add 1 cup of bleach, and stir with a long-handled spoon. Many people commonly use chlorine bleach to kill mould. However, chlorine bleach may cause discolouration and damage to the surface. For a safer alternative, use oxygen bleach instead.
Submerge a sponge in the mixture and, while holding the sponge over the bucket, wring out the excess liquid.
Scrub any affected hard surfaces with the sponge. Let the mixture sit for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing the area clean with a damp cloth. Wipe the surface dry with a towel.
Add 1/4 cup washing powder and 1 cup white vinegar to the washing machine, and launder moulded clothing and other washable items on the hottest water temperature recommended for the fabric. Immediately remove the items from the washing machine and either air or machine dry them.
Porous items, such as paper and cardboard, that test positive for mould must be discarded. Wear rubber gloves when working with bleach, to prevent possible skin irritation.
Do not mix bleach with ammonia or products containing ammonia. The resulting fumes are dangerous.
Tips and warnings
- Porous items, such as paper and cardboard, that test positive for mould must be discarded.
- Wear rubber gloves when working with bleach, to prevent possible skin irritation.
- Do not mix bleach with ammonia or products containing ammonia. The resulting fumes are dangerous.
Things you need
- Washing powder
- White vinegar