SolidWorks software, which is used by various designers and architects to create designs and drafts, uses SLDPRT files. IGES files are also associated with drafting and design; IGES files are the ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standard file format for wire frame models. Since SLDPRT files are only compatible with SolidWorks, you must convert them to another format, such as IGES, to allow them to be used with software supporting the IGES ANSI standard file format.
- Skill level:
Open the folder in which the SLDPRT file is stored on your computer. Expand the "Tools" tab located in the top toolbar. Select "Folder Options," which will open a new window.
Click the "View" tab in the window that appears and scroll to the bottom of the menu in the window. Remove the check mark in the box next to "Hide extensions for known file types." Click "OK."
Right-click the SLDPRT file in the folder and choose "Rename." Delete "SLDPRT" and type "IGES" in its place. A warning prompt will appear stating "If you change a file name extension, the file might become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?"
Click "Yes" in the prompt and close the folder.
Tips and warnings
- When you open the converted file, the default program used to open IGES files, such as AutoCAD, will open the program automatically. The data in the SLDPRT file will be used by the program (AutoCAD) as an IGES file.
- Not all conversions will go through smoothly and there may be no changes in how the computer opens the file or how it recognises the file.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for