Many people hold fond memories of making mud pies in the backyard. The messy mixture of dirt and water, and the freedom to get dirty, appeals to children. Kids can recreate that experience in the kitchen by making an edible mud pie to enjoy. Mud pies only look like the outdoor version, thanks to chocolate pudding, gummy worms and other ingredients. Kids can make the dessert with little supervision because the recipe does not require cooking if you use instant pudding to create the mud effect.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 2 cups milk
- Instant chocolate pudding
- Gallon plastic bag
- Chocolate sandwich cookies
- Pie pan
- Gummy worms
- Whipped cream
- Black sprinkles
Whisk together the milk and instant pudding in a bowl until the pudding granules have dissolved. Allow the pudding to set according to the manufacturer's directions -- usually for at least five minutes in a refrigerator.
Crush 10 to 12 chocolate sandwich cookies, such as Oreos, in a gallon plastic bag. Stop when the cookie pieces are still in small chunks. The pieces do not have to be uniform in size. Pour the cookie pieces into a pie pan and press down lightly.
Spoon half of the chocolate pudding over the cookie pieces. Add several gummy worms, which represent worms burrowing under the dirt.
Spoon the remaining pudding mix into the pie pan. Add more gummy worms to the top.
Dot the mud pie with whipped cream piles.
Dribble black sprinkles over the whipped cream pile to represent ants.
Eat the pie immediately, or keep it chilled to eat later. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Tips and warnings
- Allow kids to use their imagination when making the mud pie. Ask them what other candy or confectionery item could represent animals that live in the dirt, for instance.
- Make individual mud pies by using small, clear cups instead of a pie pan. Follow the steps above, but split the ingredients between the cups.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for