Peace lily plants are a favourite houseplant because of the plant's easy care and attractive foliage with an elegant white flower. When you received your peace lily, it was probably in bloom. That is because commercial growers treat peace lilies with a hormone, gibberellic acid spray, referred to as GA spray, to control the precise time the plant will flower. Unfortunately, individuals do not have easy access to GA spray, so you must provide appropriate growing conditions to encourage your peace lily to flower again.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Scissors or hand pruners
- Mister or water spray bottle
- Fertiliser for houseplants, like MiracleGro or compost tea fertiliser
Use sharp scissors or hand pruners to trim spent flowers from your peace lily. Clip the stem as close to the base of the plant as possible. By trimming off the dead or dying flower and stem, you allow your peace lily to direct its energy toward foliage and forming flower buds.
Place your peace lily in a location that will receive bright, indirect light, but never direct sunlight. One of the primary reasons peace lilies do not produce flowers is because the plant does not receive enough light. Peace lilies can grow in low light, making them ideal for offices and low light interiors, but the plant needs stronger light to flower. Place your peace lily in an area that is bright enough to allow you to read a newspaper without additional lighting.
Water your peace lily whenever the soil feels dry 1/2 to 1 inch deep. Too dry or too wet soil also deters flower formation. Your peace lily enjoys moist, never soggy, soil, with the soil slightly drying between watering.
Fertiliser your peace lily every two weeks during the growing season with a general houseplant fertiliser, following the instructions. Generating flower buds takes a lot of energy from a plant so replacing and adding nutrients and food will help your peace lily develop flowers.
Mist your peace lily daily or every other day, with warm water in a mister or spray bottle. Peace lilies like a humid environment.
Tips and warnings
- Be patient. There are many varieties of peace lilies; some produce flowers fairly often, while others only periodically burst into bloom.
- Keeping it in bright light, watered correctly, out of drafts and at temperatures that do not drop below 15.6 degrees Celsius will help you succeed in having a flowering peace lily.
- This plant is poisonous to pets and children if ingested.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for