Army green has been a staple colour for the militaries of many countries throughout the world. Getting the colour right when making a cake may involve mixing your own frosting colours, if you cannot find a premixed food colour that is suitable. Use gel food colours when colouring frostings, because liquid food colours disrupt the liquid ratio of your frosting. This can result in frosting that runs, or otherwise does not stay where you put it with your spatula -- a definite problem when decorating.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Colour printout of army green colour
- Bowl of white frosting
- Blue-, yellow-, black- and white-gel food colouring
Open your blue-, yellow-, and black-gel food colouring containers. Gel food colours usually come in squeeze bottles or screw-top pots. Remove the lid of any colour in a squeeze bottle, as it will only get in your way.
Stick a toothpick in each food colour container. Then, pick up a small amount of yellow gel colour on the end of the toothpick you stuck in that container. Drop it on top of your frosting in the bowl.
Add a slightly smaller amount of blue-gel colour to the frosting in the same way, using a toothpick. Mix both colours into the frosting thoroughly with a spoon, then add a tiny speck of black-gel colour and mix it in as well.
Consult your colour printout of the army-green colour you want to achieve, then compare your present colour to it. Adjust the colour by using small amounts of any of the three colours you already used. Make it lighter by adding a little white-gel food colouring, if the frosting is too dark.
Tips and warnings
- Mixing frosting colours is a lot like mixing paint colours. Rules of colour mixing work the same, no matter what the medium. If you have previous experience in mixing paints, even if it was just for an art class in grade school, the colour wheel still applies and can help you here. In this case, yellow and blue make green, while the black make the colour darker and drabber.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for