How to Get a PTS Certificate

Written by amanda rumble
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to Get a PTS Certificate
Working on railroads in Great Britain requires a PTS certificate. (railroad image by Stefan Balk from

The Personal Track Safety (PTS) is a course that all individuals who work on or close to railway lines must take and pass in the United Kingdom and Ireland. The course is required for occupations such as electricians, hand-signallers, look outs and steel fixers. The course ensures that you are both competent and medically suited to work around the railways. Some competences that can be listed on the card include a medical certificate, Personal Track Safety (PTS) or Controller of Site Safety (COSS).

Skill level:


  1. 1

    Get sponsorship from your employer. You cannot enrol in the course by yourself. A company must be approved as an Only Link Up employer to book someone into the course.

  2. 2

    Take a medical exam as proof you are healthy enough to work on or around railroads.

  3. 3

    Take a drug and alcohol test approved by the rail industry.

  4. 4

    Attend the approved safety-training course. It covers the rulebook, track safety handbook and instructions that are necessary for working near the rail line.The course lasts two days for 13 hours and each will have at most, eight trainees.

  5. 5

    Take the assessment administered at the end of the course to demonstrate competence. The certificate is valid for two years.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.