Scabies is a skin infestation caused by microscopic mites burrowing beneath the skin. Prescription creams can be used to kill the mites on your skin. Scabies is spread through skin-to-skin contact as well as through contact with contaminated clothing, bedding and furniture. It's important, therefore, to properly clean your furniture after having an infected person in your home until all of the mites die, which can take up to a week.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Vacuum cleaner
- Furniture covers
Vacuum all of your furniture to remove dirt, dust, scabies mites and their eggs. Do not simply dust or wipe the furniture, as this could just move the eggs or mites to the ground.
Remove the dust bag or dust canister and filter from your vacuum cleaner. Immediately dispose of any dust or dust bags outside to prevent recontamination. Replace disposable filters or wash washable filters using warm water and liquid dish soap. Repeat this process daily on wooden or uncovered furniture.
Place the your couch, love-seat, recliner or any other furniture with cushioning or upholstery in a sealable plastic cover for one week. While it may not be aesthetically pleasing, it will contain the mites, cut off their food source and prevent them from further infesting your home. Remove the covers after one week.
Vacuum the furniture that was covered after the covers are removed. This will remove the dead mites.
Tips and warnings
- In addition to cleaning all of the furniture in your home, all linens and exposed clothing should be washed in hot water and dried with heat to kill scabies mites. Carpets also should be vacuumed and all other surfaces should be disinfected. If the mites in the home are not properly removed, reinfestation and infection can occur.
- Scabies mites and eggs cannot be seen with the naked eye. Just because you can't see any after an infected person has been in your home does not mean your home does not contain scabies or their eggs.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for