Ideally, a bedroom is a quiet place for you to unwind from hectic days and slumber in peace -- but that's not always the case. Rambunctious children, barking dogs, the TV set in the next room, street noise and even neighbours can make sleeping difficult. Fortunately, a few easy soundproofing methods can help you transform your noisy bedroom into a sanctuary of tranquillity.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Polyurethane caulk
Seal doors with gaskets, which prevent air and sound from flowing through the cracks between doors and frames. If doors are already tight, install rubber and metal gaskets to fill the small spaces; otherwise, a flat rubber gasket fits larger gaps.
Seal the edges of windows with gaskets. Snugly fit drapes over them, or nail pieces of plywood on hinges to act as shutters. The key to ensuring they are effective at soundproofing the room is fitting them tightly into position, without gaps that let in air and noise, such as traffic or noisy neighbours. Remove them during the day to let in light; replace them when you want silence.
If any pipes or other objects penetrate the walls, apply polyurethane caulk around the edges to seal the gaps shut.
Unscrew plates around light switches and other electrical fittings from walls. Seal the plates back in place with gaskets to ensure a tight fit.
Create baffling for vents by sawing narrow slots in a rectangular piece of plywood. Attach fibreglass to the backside in between the slots. Hang this over air ducts to let air escape through the slots, while the fibreglass and plywood take most of the noise.
Tips and warnings
- Carpet other rooms, especially those above the bedroom. Carpet helps absorb sound and makes footsteps noiseless.
- Place insulation around pipes to prevent water noises -- such as flushing toilets -- from sounding in your bedroom and the rest of the house.
- Though you can eliminate most noise using simple methods, to completely soundproof your bedroom, you may need to install thicker walls or a second layer of walls.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for