A good fire poster needs to be something which is noticeable, rather than for being seen as a great work of art. It is also something which needs to have an immediate impact. The poster requires little fine detail, but it should have bold images and text. Having great artistic ability is not required, but the ability to convey a strong message with a simple design is. A fire poster has to contain a message which people will remember.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Colour pencils
Select red as the main colour for your poster. It is a strong colour and is also a traditional colour used for indicating danger. Black is a colour which works well with red. Your drawings should be a combination of these two colours on a white background.
Begin your drawing with six squares of equal size in black, after orienting your paper to portrait. These should be drawn from the bottom of your sheet of paper to just above halfway. These squares will be a good way of drawing attention to your images, which will be placed in these squares.
Draw simple images in the squares, depicting how acts of carelessness can cause a fire; if possible relate them to the specific environment in which the poster will be seen. The images should be of similar size to each other. Examples could include a fryer being left unattended, a fire door being left open when a fire is alight or the dropping of a lighted cigarette. Each image should have an X over it, as an indicator of fire safety rules not being observed.
Use only a few words for your poster. Above the images should be the words "BEWARE OF FIRE". In this instance, use the colour red for the text. As the images are strong, few words are required. Just that simple, but powerful, message will suffice.
Tips and warnings
- Fire safety basically involves common sense, so keep that in mind when designing your poster. The poster should really be a reminder to people, not something which is preaching to them.
- Don't include too many images in your poster. Too many images will mean the impact of your poster will become diluted. One strong image for each square is all that is necessary.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for