Getting your carpets clean often involves using a carpet cleaning machine. These machines typically use hot water and a commercial carpet cleaning detergent. Some people, however, prefer to use homemade carpet cleaners because they are cost-effective and the ingredients are natural. These cleaners are just as effective as store-bought varieties and you make them with household items.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring spoons
- Castile soap
Mix 1 tbsp of vinegar and 1 tbsp of Castile soap, a soap made of vegetable oil instead of animal fat. Add to 1 qt, of water.
Pour the solution into the carpet cleaner.
Use the carpet cleaner as usual.
Mix 1 cup liquid laundry soap, 1 cup liquid fabric softener and 6 cups water.
Add the solution to the machine.
Use your machine as usual.
Tips and warnings
- Rinse out the machine first to remove residue from previous cleaners.
- Check the machine's manual first to make sure it is compatible with different cleaners.
- Multiply the ingredients proportionally to make batches for larger machines.
- Find Castile soap in health food stores, online and in some supermarkets.
- Use dish soap if you can't find Castile soap.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for