Cake decorating is a culinary art with seemingly no boundaries or limitations. A decoration that can look good on almost any style of cake is edible ribbon. In most cases, edible ribbons are made with gum paste -- a sugar-based material which is pliable yet strong. Gum paste has a soft ,claylike consistency which makes it easy to work with, regardless of previous experience with cake decorating. This material is available from most cake supply or craft stores.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Icing sugar
- Gum paste
- Rolling pin
- Fondant cutter
- Lustre dust
Coat a 1-square-foot section on the surface of a clean table or countertop with a light dusting of icing sugar. The sugar will create a non-stick surface.
Place a golf ball-sized piece of gum paste in the centre of the powdered surface.
Roll the gum paste to an even 1/8-inch-thick sheet with a plastic rolling pin. A long, rectangular sheet of gum paste is best for making ribbons.
Cut the gum paste to the desired ribbon length and width with a fondant cutter. Fondant cutters are best to use, as the plastic cutting wheel will not damage the surface beneath the gum paste. Use a ruler as a guide to ensure straight cuts.
Sprinkle lustre dust over the gum paste to give it the appearance of shiny fabric ribbon.
Tips and warnings
- Food colouring can be added to gum paste to make it any colour. Add the food colouring and knead the gum paste until the colour is evenly distributed. Continue to add food colouring until the gum paste reaches your desired colour. Use gel or powdered colouring for best results.
- Rolled fondant can be used in place of gum paste, but it may not be as durable.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for