The Nesco roaster is a godsend if you are cooking a number of oven dishes for a crowd or if your air conditioner is already working overtime on a hot summer day. The Nesco is available in 6-quart and 18-quart sizes, making it easy to find the roaster that is right for your needs. You can cook everything from prime rib to turkey soup in the roaster, and cleanup is quick and easy, thanks to the removable cooking well.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Cutting board
Wash the cooking rack and cooking well of your roaster in hot, soapy water. Dry thoroughly. This will remove any dust that may have collected in the roaster since the last use.
Spray the cooking well with non-stick spray. If you need to use the cooking rack for your food, spray it, as well.
Place the cooking well in the roaster and preheat the oven to the temperature specified in your recipe. If cooking soups, chilli or stews, set the temperature to 204 degrees Celsius. After 30 minutes, turn the temperature down to 148C to simmer the soup.
Place meats, potatoes and casserole dishes on the cooking rack and insert into the roaster cooking well. For dishes such as soups, combine ingredients directly into the cooking well.
Cook for the time specified in the recipe. For instance, if your poultry recipe calls for 20 minutes of cooking time per pound and your chicken is four pounds, you would cook the bird for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Turn off the roaster at the end of the cooking time and unplug it from the electrical socket. Remove the cooking rack and transfer the food to a cutting board or counter top.
Allow the roaster to cool completely before washing the cooking well and rack.
Tips and warnings
- Keep soups, stews and chilli warm by turning the temperature down to 121 degrees Celsius for as long as needed.
- You can also steam foods, such as fish or hot dogs, by adding 1 1/2 cups water to a 6-quart roaster, preheating to 350F and placing the food on the cooking rack. For the 18-quart model, add 2 1/2 to 3 cups of water to the bottom of the cooking well.
- The Nesco roaster can also be used as a slow cooker. Set the temperature at 250F and multiply the cooking time by three. For instance, if the recipe calls for 30 minutes cooking time, you would slow cook in the Nesco for 1 1/2 hours.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for