Engine oil is an integral part of every car engine, irreplaceable in terms of beating the attrition, and as such, it is essential when it comes to antifriction lubricating necessities of the engine. Without it, the moving parts rubbing against themselves would create a raising temperature with enough cumulative effect to melt the engine. This is where oil comes into place, creating a sort of coating which prevents heating and melting from happening. If you are the owner of a Punto GT, you might consider ordaining a weekly oil check and changing if necessary to keep the optimal oil level of your Punto engine.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Clean rag or paper towel
- Engine oil
- Funnel (optional)
Extract the brightly coloured dipstick (bright colours are used for identification).
Remove the oil from the dipstick. Use a clean rag or paper towel.
Slide the clean dipstick down the tube as far as possible, extract it again and observe the reading (the level should be between the upper mark and the lower mark).
Change the oil or refill it if necessary. Place a tank underneath the engine block and remove the oil draining screw using a wrench. Wait 10 minutes for the oil to completely drain from the engine.
Remove the filler cap located on the top of the engine.
Pour the oil down the filler cap aperture slowly. You may want to consider using the funnel to minimise the spillage. Check the dipstick level from time to time in order not to overfill.
Return the filler cap and the dipstick back in the place.
Tips and warnings
- Check if you have any oil leaks in case you are adding the oil too frequently. This is a pretty simple procedure and all it takes is to place a clean paper towel under the car overnight and check for the stains in the morning. Stains on the paper towel indicate the leakage.
- Before starting the oil changing procedures make sure the car is on the level ground.
- Never check the oil level immediately after driving and the engine switch-off, since those will lead you to inaccurate oil readings on the dipstick, as some oil will remain in the upper components of the engine. The oil level has to be checked before the car is driven or at least five minutes after the engine had been switched off.
- Avoid skin contact with used engine oil and consider wearing rubber gloves if you conduct the procedure the first time or you are inexperienced with car maintenance.
- Empty oil packs disposition must be conducted in the environmentally-conscious manner at the authorised site.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for