The skeleton is a classic Halloween costume that gives kids a chance to act their most ghoulish for a day. Creating your own skeleton costume requires a few basic materials that you may already have on hand, making it an inexpensive costume choice. Because you can make the cut-out bones as small or large as you want, this costume can suit kids of all ages and sizes. To make a baby skeleton costume, simply replace the black top and bottom with black footy pyjamas and cut the bones small enough to fit.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Black turtleneck
- Black sweatpants
- Black knit cap
- Black gloves
- Black shoes
- White shoelaces
- White felt
- Craft knife
- Fabric glue
- Heat bond fabric tape (optional)
- Iron (optional)
- White and black face make-up
- Computer and printer (optional)
- Cardboard skeleton (optional)
- Glow-in-the-dark fabric paint (optional)
Draw bone shapes for legs, arms and torso on the white felt. You can draw these freehand or print out bone images on your computer, cut them out and trace them with a pencil onto the felt. An even easier solution is to purchase a cardboard skeleton Halloween decoration, disassemble it and trace each bone onto the felt with a pencil.
Cut out the bone shapes. Use a craft knife to cut the spaces on the inside of the rib cage.
Put the turtleneck and trousers on your child and pin the felt bones in the proper place. Make sure the elbow and knee joints line up with your child's elbows and knees and the rib cage is centred. Carefully remove the turtleneck and trousers.
Attach the bones to the turtleneck and trousers with craft glue and let dry. For a quicker alternative, use heat bond fabric tape. Place the tape between the felt and clothing and hold a hot iron on top of the felt for two minutes to create the bond.
Put the turtleneck and trousers on your child and add the black knit cap and black gloves. To add a skeletal touch to basic black sneakers, replace the black laces with white shoelaces.
Cover your child's face with white face paint. Create hollow skeleton eyes by painting black circles around each eye.
Tips and warnings
- Apply glow-in-the-dark fabric paint to the white felt bones for a fun and street-safe look.
- For extra detail, cut smaller bones for the hands and fingers out of felt and glue them to the black gloves.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for