Tired of your plain old iPhone's appearance? You can customise the look of your iPhone with WinterBoard, an open source application available for jailbroken iPhones on the Cydia application store. WinterBoard allows a user to have greater control over how their iPhone appearance and comes with several installed themes for users to choose from. Advanced users can also create their own themes from scratch. Creating WinterBoard themes requires advanced user knowledge of jailbroken iPhones as well as understanding how FTP and image editing programs work.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- iPhone USB cord
Download and install the WinterBoard application from the Cydia iPhone application store. The Cydia application store is only available to jailbroken iPhones. On your jailbroken iPhone, start the Cydia application and choose "Sections," then "System" and scroll down until you find the "WinterBoard" application on the menu. Choose "Install" and "Confirm" to begin the installation. The application will present a screen showing its progress. Touch the blue "Reboot iPhone" button once the installation has completed.
Create the images you want to use for your iPhone theme using the image editor of your choice. You can use any image editor you feel comfortable with to create your custom WinterBoard theme images as long as they can save in the PNG format. Basic themes will include a custom wallpaper and custom dock.
Save your images to a folder on your computer. The name of your folder will be the name of the theme you upload onto your iPhone. For this example, we will name the folder "My WinterBoard Theme," but you can choose whatever name you wish. Save your Wallpaper.png file in this folder. You will also need to make additional folders within your original folder. Create "My WinterBoard Theme," "Bundles" and "com.apple.springboard" and save your Springboard dock image files (either SBDockBG@2x or SBDockBG.png.)
Connect to your iPhone via FTP. Once connected to your iPhone, go to "Library," then "Themes." Upload your entire "My WinterBoard Theme" folder from your computer into the "Themes" folder on your iPhone.
Launch WinterBoard on your iPhone by navigating to the WinterBoard icon and tapping it. Touch the Themes option and then tap the "My WinterBoard Theme" menu to load it. Your iPhone will now show your custom-created WinterBoard theme.
Tips and warnings
- Theme images for the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3G/3GS have different dimensions. Wallpapers are PNG files and must either be 640 pixels wide by 960 pixels high (iPhone 4) or 320 pixels wide by 480 pixels high (iPhone 3G/3GS) and are saved under the filename Wallpaper.png. Springboard images are PNG files and must either be 640 pixels wide by 90 pixels high or 320 pixels wide by 45 pixels high and saved as SBDockBG.png (iPhone 3G/3GS).
- You can create custom icons for most any part of the iPhone theme. Please refer to the Graphics Locations for more information on custom icons and save locations for other theme elements.
- Jailbreaking an iPhone removes the limitations set on the device by Apple. Jailbreaking is legal but comes with various risks, including possible security issues. Jailbreaking will void your Apple warranty.
- WinterBoard theming involves accessing your jailbroken iPhone through a combination of OpenSSH and an FTP client and involves changing the root password of your iPhone. If done incorrectly, this can irrevocably damage your iPhone.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for