The Nintendo DS, a portable video gaming system, features traditional controller buttons as well as a touchscreen input. Due to its numerous control methods, many gamers dream of using the DS as a PC game pad. Luckily, hobbyists created free-to-download software that allows gamers to do just that. It only takes few items, a little time and a bit of technical know-how to use your Nintendo DS as a PC gamepad.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wireless router
- PPJoy drivers
- DS2Key software
- Nintendo DS
- Computer game that uses a joystick or game pad
Download and install PPJoy, a parallel port joystick driver for Windows 98, Millennium, 2000, XP and Windows 7 platforms. This is free software available at the developer's website.
Download the "DS2Key06.rar" file from an emulation, freeware or DS home brew website. This is a free program created for non-profit hobbyist use. It runs on Windows platforms -- including Windows 7 -- as well as Linux operating systems.
Locate the "ds2key.nds" file on your computer. On most Windows operating systems, it should be in your "Downloads" folder.
Extract the "ds2key.nds" file to your applications, or apps, folder.
Run the DS2Key program from your applications menu.
Follow the instructions contained in the .rar file to set-up DS2Key to the specifications of your computer, DS and wireless router.
Activate game pad mode from DS2Key's menu.
Open any application on your computer that uses a joystick or game pad input device.
Use the Nintendo DS to control the game. Note that the touchscreen on the DS serves as the analogue stick or mouse.
Tips and warnings
- With DS2Key, you can also use the DS's touchscreen in place of your PC's mouse.
- The DS's four-button game pad is well-suited for classic two-dimensional computer games.
- DS2Key version 6.0, the latest version as of 2011, only works for single player games.
- DS2Key only works with wireless Internet connections, as it relies on the DS's Wi-Fi compatibility to operate.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for