Masquerade masks add an air of mystery to a fancy costume party, complete a Renaissance Faire costume or give children a follow-up craft for cultures lessons. If you don't have time for a full craft project or need a fast party favour for kids and teens, masquerade mask kits may be the solution. These kits aren't just colourful, they give the recipient an activity for a rainy day or a supplement to a favourite costume.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Acid-free 6-by-6-inch paper boxes
- Acrylic paint
- Tissue paper: several colours
- Empty 29.6ml. plastic squeeze bottles
- Puff paint: ½ ounce bottles
- Glitter glue: ½ ounce bottles
- Mini plastic baggies
- Feathers: several colours
- Matt plastic half-face masks
Paint the kit box. Paint the outside of the box and the lid a base colour. Add several coats if necessary to cover the box completely; wait about 2 hours between coats to let the paint dry. Allow the completely covered box to cure overnight.
Add designs to your box with paint and ribbon. Harlequin diamond patterns, celestial patterns and simple pinstripes work well as long as you keep them colourful. Glue ribbon to the box to create a diamond or striped pattern. If using a pattern with few straight lines, use the ribbon to edge the box and lid.
Place several layers of coloured tissue paper inside the box. Push it gently into the corners, making sure it sticks up from the inside of the box in colourful tufts. This will protect and keep your kit in place.
Fill one or two plastic 29.6ml. squeeze bottles with acrylic paint. Place them in one corner of your box. Place one or two bottles of puff paints in another corner and a bottle or two of glitter glue in the third corner. Make sure the colours match each other or contrast well. You can go with a two-tone theme or pick a colour palette like all cool or warm colours.
Open a few mini-baggies and fill them with sequins. Place the baggies behind one of your bottles to hold them in place. Gather four to 6 feathers together and tie them together at the bottom with a few pieces of colourful ribbon. Make sure the ribbon is long enough to use as part of the mask. The features and ribbon should both go with your colour theme.
Place your mask in the centre of the box. Fold the tissue paper down over the kit items and slip on the lid.
Tips and warnings
- Add a little extra to the gift by writing suggestions and tips for making the mask on a piece of thick vellum. Handwritten or computer-generated calligraphy provides a little more authenticity.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for