Installing the Homebrew Channel on your Wii gives you access to dozens of free, user-made games. In order to gain access to the Homebrew Channel, you will need to enable your Wii to use home brew software. This process requires several different software files, often referred to as a "bundle." You may download these files individually or as part of a free software package. Please note that while modifying your Wii to use legitimate home brew software is legal, downloading pirated games onto a hacked Wii is a violation of copyright law.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- SD card
- Card reader
Download the Smash Stack files from any Wii home brew website. These files are free to distribute. Do not download Smash Stack from any site that requires payment. You will also need to download a "boot.elf" file, also available on home brew websites.
Connect your SD card to your computer using a card reader. A window will appear displaying the files present on the card. Locate the "Private" folder. Rename this folder "privateold." Leave this window open.
Open the Smash Stack folder. Copy the "Private" Smash Stack folder to the SD card. Copy the boot.elf file to the SD card as well.
Disconnect the SD card from your computer. Insert the card into your Wii. Once the card loads, an installation menu will be displayed onscreen. Select "Continue." Select "Homebrew Channel," then "Install the Homebrew Channel." Confirm that you wish to install the channel by selecting "Yes." Installation may take several minutes. Once installation is complete, the Wii will return to the main menu.
Tips and warnings
- There are many alternatives to the Smash Stack hack. These include Indiana Pwns, Yu-Gi-OWNED! and the Twilight Hack. Smash Stack has been featured in this tutorial because it works with all versions of the Wii update. However, if you are running an earlier version of the update that is compatible with one of these other applications, you can substitute it for Smash Stack.
- While installing the Homebrew Channel is legal, doing so will void your warranty with Nintendo. Additionally, installing the channel improperly or using corrupted home brew files can result in a useless console (commonly known as "bricking"). Be aware of the risks before installing the Homebrew Channel on your Wii.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for