Diaper cakes are decorated with functional items for an expecting mom. Attach baby items and decorative items that coordinate with the nursery theme if the diaper cake is a gift or according to the theme of the baby shower if using the diaper cake as a centrepiece. Choose smaller-size items, such as packaging for travel, so the diaper cake is visually balanced and sturdy without toppling over. For a more personalised gift, embroider the baby's last name, or first if you know it, on the cloth items.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Receiving baby blanket
- 3-tier diaper cake
- Diaper safety pins
- Baby bath towel
- Baby washcloth
- 2 Onesies, or baby body suits
- 1 Baby T-shirt
- 3 to 4 small, soft toys
- 1 Teething ring
- 1 Pacifier
- ¼-inch-wide ribbon
- 4 Travel-size baby bath products
- 1-inch-wide ribbon
- 1 small plush stuffed animal
- Silk flowers
- Wire cutters
- Scrapbooking embellishments, such as tags, stickers and miniature figurines
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
Spread the receiving blanket out flat on a hard surface. Center the bottom layer of the diaper cake on the blanket. Gather the blanket up and tuck each corner into the folds of the diapers, adding a safety pin if necessary to secure the blanket.
Lay the bath towel out on a flat surface. Place the middle cake tier on the centre of the towel. Bring each corner up, just as you did with the receiving blanket, tucking and pinning the towel as you cover the diapers. Continue this method with the top tier and washcloth.
Roll the T-shirt and onesies into individual rolls so they are shaped like a tube. Secure with a piece of tape and pin onto the wrapped diaper cake on top of one of the layers.
Use a diaper safety pin to attach soft toys to the sides of the diaper cake. Cut two 6-inch lengths of the 1/4-inch-wide ribbon with the scissors. Make bows using the ribbon around the pacifier and teething ring, and pin the bows to the outside of the wrapped cake surface.
Stuff the baby products into the folds of the cake. Tie pieces of the 1/4-inch and 1-inch-wide ribbon around the perimeter of each of the layers, making as many rings as you prefer. Pin the stuffed animal to the top of the diaper cake as the cake topper.
Keep the diaper cake simple with only flowers as decorations. Group flowers in small clusters and insert between the folds throughout the layers of the diaper cake. Cut longer flower stems with a pair of wire cutters, if necessary.
Form a large bouquet of flowers. Wrap tape around the stems to secure the flowers together. Insert the bundle into the centre of the top layer for the cake topper.
Cut and tie a strip of wide ribbon around each layer. Attach scrapbook embellishments using hot glue where the ribbon overlaps to secure and cover the ends.
Tips and warnings
- Pin a decorative tag to the diaper cake with your name, the brand name of the diapers and what size diapers you used in the cake.
- Cover the decorated diaper cake with cellophane and secure with a ribbon for a packaged gift.
- Do not use hot glue to attach any of the decorations that the mom will use, such as the clothing, receiving blanket, bath linens or toys.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for