If remodelling existing office space, selling your business or moving to a new location, you should consider donating old or gently used office furniture to a charitable organisation instead of throwing the furniture pieces away. Local charitable organisations may use the furniture in their offices or sell the furniture for a small profit to other businesses in need of office furniture. Office furniture donations are tax-deductible and reduce the amount of waste in landfills.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Office furniture
Contact local or national charitable organisations to determine if they accept office furniture donations. National charitable organisations that accept office furniture donations include the Muscular Dystrophy Association, the Salvation Army, Goodwill Industries International and iloveschools.com.
Contact the charity to determine drop-off times as many charities only accept donations during regular business hours. Some charities provide free removal of donated items. Make an appointment to drop-off office furniture or make an appointment for pickup of items.
Inspect all office furniture before donating items to charity. Remove all dust, dirt and other debris from desk tops and tables. Inspect chairs to ensure arms, back rests or wheels work properly. Open and close drawers, check for loose hardware and inspect the furniture for holes in the upholstery.
Place extra hardware, screws, nails and other items that came with the furniture in a bag. Let those taking the furniture that these pieces exist.
Tips and warnings
- Ask for a receipt when donating office furniture if claiming the donation as a business tax deduction.
- Do not donate overly damaged or broken office furniture as these pieces are of no use to the charitable organisation. Many organisations provide guidelines for donating slightly damaged or scratched items.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for