A number cake can be used to celebrate a first birthday, mark the "over the hill" milestone or commemorate a sports player's team number from a winning season, among other events. Even if your decorating skills are not spectacular, this easy project will surely be a hit at your next party; the tasty frosting and edible decorations will help your number cake win your guests over.
Find the number for the cake by searching online for colouring pages with numbers. Enlarge the number to no bigger than 13 inches long, then print it and cut it out.
Bake cake according to directions; let it cool, then remove it from the pan. Place the cake on a serving plate or decorating tray.
Place the number on top of the cake. Trace-cut around the number slowly with a butter knife. Remove the excess cake and clean up any crumbs.
Frost the cake with your chosen icing. Use candy, sprinkles, letters or other edible decorating items as preferred.
Cool the cake on a rectangular board covered in foil. This makes it easier to decorate and serve later. Number-shaped pans are also available for purchase.
Tips and warnings
- Cool the cake on a rectangular board covered in foil. This makes it easier to decorate and serve later.
- Number-shaped pans are also available for purchase.
Things you need
- Cake mix (plus ingredients listed on the box)
- 9-by-13-inch baking pan
- Number printed and enlarged from computer
- Butter knife
- Sprinkles or edible decorations as preferred