Turn a boring, old T-shirt into a new creation with the help of rubber stamps and paint. With a few different stamp designs you can create a T-shirt to emulate fashionable style, from a country-western theme to a punk rock-and-roll look. Both kids and adults can appreciate clothing personalised to suit their tastes. Gather a few supplies to decorate and reinvent your wardrobe.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Plastic sheeting
- White or light coloured T-shirt
- Sponge brushes
- Small plastic containers
- Fabric paint
- Rubber stamp
- Paper towels
- Scrap fabric
- Fabric markers
- Plastic gloves
Lay plastic sheeting down to thoroughly cover you work area. Place T-shirt with the front facing upward flat on the work surface. Pour a small amount of fabric paint into each plastic container.
Brush paint onto the rubber stamp with a sponge brush using a dabbing motion. Make sure the paint covers the surface of the stamp. Wipe away excess paint around the edges of the stamp with a paper towel.
Stamp design on a scrap piece of fabric. Practice with varying amounts of paint to get the right consistency before applying the designs to the T-shirt.
Cut a piece of cardboard the length and width of the T-shirt. Insert the cardboard piece inside the shirt. This will protect the back of the T-shirt from smudges and paint bleeds.
Apply paint to rubber stamp with the sponge brush. Carefully stamp the design onto the T-shirt using firm pressure to seal the design. Rinse stamps with warm water and dry with a paper towel before changing to another colour.
Let the stamped designs dry. Fill in the details of the design with fabric markers. Allow to thoroughly dry. Follow the manufacturer's instructions with the fabric paint on how to wash before wearing.
Tips and warnings
- Wash and iron the T-shirt before stamping designs to allow for even stamping coverage.
- Wear plastic gloves and an apron to protect yourself from paint splatters.
- Do not fill in the crevices of the stamp with fabric paint as this will result in a blurred image on the fabric.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for