Painting is an inexpensive way to spruce up any interior or exterior space. When looking for outdoor objects to paint, consider items such as garden walls. Over time, these walls can deteriorate and begin to look shabby. A new coat of paint is a good way to improve the appearance and even add a splash of colour to your garden. Painting an outdoor garden wall is similar to painting the exterior of a house.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Stiff-bristle brush
- Wire brush
- Plastic dust sheet
- Waterproof primer
- Paint tray
- Paint roller or brush
- Exterior-grade latex paint
Fill a bucket with a mixture of 6 parts of water to 1 part of bleach. Insert a stiff-bristle brush into the mixture and use it scrub off any mould, mildew or moss that is growing on the garden wall. Allow the wall to dry, then rescrub it with a wire brush to remove any remaining root systems from the wall.
Lay a plastic dust sheet at the bottom edge of the wall to protect the ground from paint splatters.
Pour a waterproof exterior primer into a paint tray. Apply a single layer of primer to the entire wall. If the wall is made of flat brick or stone, use a paint roller. If the wall surface is made of uneven pebbles or river stones, use a paintbrush.
Allow the primer to dry for at least 24 hours before painting the garden wall.
Fill a fresh paint tray with the desired colour of exterior grade latex paint.
Paint the entire garden wall with two coats of the paint using the paint roller or brush. Allow two to three hours between coats for drying.
Roll up the plastic dust sheet and dispose of it in a dustbin.
Tips and warnings
- The best time to paint a garden wall is in the spring or the early fall when temperatures are mild.
- Bright paint colours will fade faster than neutral paint colours.
- Consider adding designs or drawings to the garden wall after painting.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for