Cats are lovable, furry creatures, making them a popular choice for a fancy-dress costume. Black cats are especially suitable for Halloween because of their association with witches and magic. If you want to make your feline costume really stand out, it's essential that you get yourself a set of cute cat's ears, which are surprisingly cheap and easy to make at home.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- White felt
- Black fabric pen
- Strong glue
- Plastic black hair band
Cut four identical 7.5 cm (3 inch) tall triangles from a piece of white felt.
Colour two of the triangles completely black on one side with a black fabric pen.
Draw the outline of a small triangle 3.5 cm (1 1/2 inches) in height on one of the remaining white felt triangles. Leave the inside of this new triangle white, and colour the rest of the piece of felt black. Repeat with the last remaining triangle of white felt.
Apply glue to the white side of a triangle that has been completely coloured black on one side. Pick up one of the triangles that is coloured black with a white triangle, and stick its completely white side onto the glue. Repeat with the last two triangles
Glue the bottom of one of your newly joined triangles to the top of the plastic headband. Position it to the left, where the cat's left ear would be. The black side should face the back, and the black and white side faces the front. The edge with the base of the white triangle should be closest to the hair band. Repeat with the other triangle pair, placing this one where the right ear would be.
Tips and warnings
- If the triangles of felt don't sit properly on the hair band, trim a curved edge into the base before gluing them to the hair band.
- Draw stripes on the white felt with a brown fabric marker if you want to make ears for a tabby cat.
- Be careful not to get any glue on your hands, clothes or surrounding furniture.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for