Skype is an online communication tool that includes voice and video calling, text messaging and file transfers. Low-cost voice calls to landline and mobile phones are available. A Skype mobile application can be installed on Android, iPhone and other mobile operating systems. The company was founded in 2003 and by the end of 2010, there were 23 million people using Skype at peak times. The desktop Skype application can be personalised with an avatar, mood message and background, or wallpaper.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Open the Windows start menu. Click "All Programs" and scroll down to the Skype folder. Left-click the folder, then click the Skype icon.
Register to become a Skype user and then sign in, or sign in to the Skype service with your user name and password if you already have them. Remember that your password is case-sensitive.
Click on your name at the top of the main Skype window and click the "Personalize" button. From the drop-down menu, click "Change Wallpaper."
Click "Clear Background" in the lower left part of the window to remove the existing background. Skype will return to the default light-grey background.
Tips and warnings
- When you want to create a new background, you have four different options:
- Click the "Use Wallpaper" radio button. Click one of the textured patterns to highlight it. Click "Apply." The new wallpaper is applied to your Skype windows.
- Click the "Browse" button. Navigate to a folder containing graphic files. Skype will use .jpg, .bmp or png image files as wallpaper. Double-click a graphic file. The image will be added to the selection window. Click the image file to highlight it. Click "Apply." The image file will be applied as the background to your Skype windows.
- Click the "Pick a Preset Color" radio button. Click a colour circle. Click "Apply" and the colour becomes your Skype wallpaper.
- Drag the colour slider at the bottom of the window to the right to select a custom colour. The colour displays on the button to the right of the slider. Click "Apply." The custom colour becomes your Skype background.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for