Under the best circumstances, a fruit salad offers vibrant colours along with equally bright flavours. If you include apple or banana pieces in the salad, however, this will not stay the case for long if you do not take special precautions. Once you slice these fruits, they begin to oxidise, and after a few hours they will be unsightly brown lumps in your fruit salad. If you will not be eating or serving the salad immediately after you make it, take a few minutes to ensure it stays beautiful.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Sharp knife
- Lemon or lime juice
Wait as long as possible to start making your fruit salad. The less time the fruit has to oxidise, the less it will become discoloured. If possible, make your fruit salad immediately before you wish to serve it.
Use the sharpest knife possible to cut the fruits for your fruit salad. As simple as it seems, this trick can significantly help prevent the fruit from turning brown.
Toss the finished fruit salad with just enough lemon juice to coat all of the pieces of fruit. To minimise the lemony flavour (which should not be particularly strong anyway), you can mix equal parts of lemon juice and water and toss the salad with this mixture instead. Do not be overly vigorous when tossing the salad; it should be more of a gentle mixing process. The goal is simply to coat the fruit pieces with the lemon juice or juice mixture, not to bruise or damage them.
Refrigerate the fruit salad until you are ready to serve it.
Tips and warnings
- If you do not like the idea of adding lemon juice to your fruit salad, make most of the salad in advance -- but include only fruits that do not oxidise quickly. Examples include melon chunks, grapes, cherries, berries, orange slices and other such fruits. Slice the apples, bananas, pears and any other fruits that discolour quickly immediately before serving the salad. This allows you to do most of the work in advance while keeping the salad colourful without any additions.
- You can use lime juice instead of lemon juice if you prefer.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for