Finding the right size clothing for teen boys can be difficult; their sizes may differ from men's sizes, so their exact measurements must be known to find clothing that fits. It's easy to measure teen boys for clothing, and then you can compare these measurements to size charts to find the right size.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Fabric measuring tape
Position the teen boy so he is standing straight up, with his head facing straight ahead and his arms hanging at his sides. Place the measuring tape at the edge of one shoulder and pull it straight across to the same spot on the other shoulder. Make sure the tape is parallel to the ground and taut. This is the overarm measurement.
Measure the fullest part of his chest, wrapping the measuring tape around and underneath one arm, across his shoulder blades, and back around to his chest until the tape meets. Make sure that the measuring tape is parallel to the floor. Add 1 inch to the measurement if he wants a looser jacket.
Ask the teen to bend to the side and place your finger where the skin creases. This is his natural waist, which should be right beneath his belly button. Place the end of the measuring tape where your finger is and wrap the tape around, keeping it parallel to the floor. Keep the tape taut, but not so tight that it pushes against the skin. Suit trousers are sold in one length, so you do not need to measure the inseam for a suit.
Turn his head so it is facing forward and measure his neck, starting right below his Adam's apple. Increase this measurement by ½ -inch so that the shirt will be comfortable.
Leave his arms hanging at his sides and measure the length of his arm, from the top of his shoulder bone to the top of his wrist bone. Measure both arms, because one arm may be longer than the other.
Tips and warnings
- For jeans and casual trousers, you will also need to measure his inseam. Have him stand straight, looking forward, and spread his legs so that his feet are about 6 inches apart. Measure the inside of one leg, from the crotch to the bottom of his ankle.
- The bodies of teen boys are constantly changing, so measure him frequently.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for