Diaper cakes are show-stopping presents at baby showers, and include almost everything a new mother needs. The middle of the cake usually contains soaps, lotions, wipes and baby toys. The outer shell of the cake is made of rolled up diapers and ribbons with baby supplies tucked in between ribbons and diapers. These homemade creations sit comfortably on a large tray to keep the entire structure stable. The process of making a diaper cake is simple, but it does take time to put it all together.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Pizza pan
- 100 diapers
- Rubber bands
- Wooden chopsticks
- Baby supplies
Place a pizza pan or sturdy round tray on the table. The tray should be 12 or more inches in diameter depending on the total size of the cake.
Roll up each diaper up tightly and place a rubber band around the diaper to keep the roll in place. Cut out 4 inch strips of ribbon for each diaper. Tie a ribbon around each diaper to hide the rubber band.
Put a large rubber band around tall lotions, shampoos and other items to group them together. Place these items on the centre of your tray. Then use a larger rubber band to group 5 diapers together. Create 6 groups of 5 diapers and place these around your objects in the middle of the cake. Use very large rubber bands to connect each group of diapers to the objects in the middle until you have a circular base.Use a rubber band to attach additional diapers around the cake if you notice any gaps. The items in the centre should be taller than the diapers so this creates a small base for the next cake tier.
Place a chopstick in a gap in the middle of the lotions to create more stability for the second tier. The chop stick should stick up about 4 inches from the lotions and shampoos. Packing the items tightly also helps create stability. Use a rubber band to connect groups of 3 diapers together. Create three or four clusters of 3 diapers, depending on the overall size of your cake. Use rubber bands to connect these diapers together around the lotions and chopsticks on the second tier. The diapers should disguise the lotions and soaps inside the cake. Place additional diapers inside the middle to fill in any gaps.
Place another chopstick in the middle of the second tier so that it sticks up about 4 inches. Cut a 4 inch piece of ribbon and tie a baby bottle around the chop stick. Use rubber bands to attach diapers around the bottle in a circle. The bottle will stick up from the top of the cake. Tie additional ribbons around the base and all the tiers of the cake to create even more stability. Place baby socks, rattles and other baby items in between the ribbons and diapers.
Tips and warnings
- Take your time when creating each layer. The layers should be packed tightly. You can also use more chopsticks if you want even more stability.
- The amount of diapers needed depends on the overall size of the cake. One hundred diapers is usually more than enough to create a diaper cake. Place additional diapers that you don't use in a basket for the mother.
- Buy a bag that contains all different sizes of rubber bands because you need some very larger rubber bands to connect all the diapers together on the largest tiers.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for