Insulating your cat's bed helps keep your cat warm in the winter when the cat house is outside on the porch or in the garage. A cat house constructed out of styrofoam and insulation will allow your cat to curl up in comfort, and the body heat of your cat will help keep its house warm. Making a cat house at home takes a short amount of time and can be constructed using home supplies.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Styrofoam cooler box
- Four screws
- Utility knife
- Cat bed heater (if applicable)
- Towel or other insulating material
Cut a hole the size of a mouse hole in the side of a styrofoam cooler box using a utility knife. Do not cut the hole too big because the smaller the hole, the more warmth stays in the styrofoam box. A hole the size of a mouse hole should be sufficient for your cat to climb in and out of. Be sure the styrofoam box you are using is big enough for the cat to turn around and lie down in.
Insert a towel or other insulating material into the bottom of the styrofoam cooler box.
Place the lid on top of the styrofoam cooler box and use a screwdriver to screw four screws into the lid. This keeps the lid from flying off the box in windy weather or from other animals trying to remove the lid. Place a screw in each of the four corners of the lid and align the screws so they penetrate into the styrofoam cooler box to secure the lid.
Place the insulated styrofoam cooler box in an area blocked off from wind if possible. Also try to place the box close to where your cat already likes to sleep so the cat will become comfortable with the box. Place the box entrance hole facing away from wind gusts to aid in keeping the box warm.
Tips and warnings
- If using a cat bed heater, make a small hole in the thick bottom part of the styrofoam at the rear of the box for the power cord of the cat bed heater to fit through. Styrofoam coolers that are used at pet stores for fish delivery are favourable for this project. The styrofoam coolers at grocery stores are not big enough for a cat to turn around and lie down in.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for