The advent of DVD changed home video almost overnight with DVD recorders making traditional VCRs obsolete. If you have a stack of old VHS tapes and want to convert them to DVD, you can use a DVD recorder with a built-in VCR tape deck, such as the Sony RDR-VX series, to record or dub the VHS tape to a DVD disc. You also can record a DVD to VHS tape.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Insert a blank DVD.
Press the "Rec Mode" button on your remote repeatedly to select a DVD recording mode. You can choose from eight modes, ranging from HQ (high quality), which allows 60 minutes of recording time on a standard DVD disc, to SLP (long duration), which allows 480 minutes.
Insert the source VHS tape you want to copy to DVD.
Press "Video" to control the VCR mode and start playing the VHS tape. Press "Stop" or "Pause" at the point you wish to begin recording to the DVD.
Press the "← Video" button on the recorder to begin recording the VHS tape to DVD. Press "Stop" when you want to finish recording.
Copying VHS Tape to DVD
Press "Video" on your remote and insert a recordable VHS tape.
Insert the source DVD you want to copy to VHS.
Press "DVD" to operate the DVD recorder. Start playing the DVD, and press "Stop" or "Pause" at the point you want to start recording to VHS.
Press "DVD '" on the recorder itself to begin recording to VHS. Press "Stop" when you want to finish recording.
Copying DVD to a VHS Tape
Tips and warnings
- These instructions are for the RDR-VX560 model, but they should be applicable to all Sony RDR-VX DVD/VCR recorders.
- To play the DVD on other DVD players, you must finalise the disc using the "Disc Setting" menu.
- You may encounter problems when trying to record copy-protected media.
- DVD or VHS recordings made from copyrighted material are solely for individual use. Unauthorised editing of copyrighted material is prohibited by U.S. law.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for