The iPhone is a smartphone that allows users to make calls, browse the web and check e-mails, among other tasks. Like any other smartphone, the iPhone works similarly to a personal computer and allows users to save files, music and videos, and even run applications approved for the device. Because of this, the iPhone, like a computer, has a file system to store all the respective files, folders and applications needed to make the device run.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- iPhone USB cable
Download and install iPhone Browser (see Resources). Once installed, connect your iPhone to your computer using the iPhone USB cable. Start the iPhone Browser and browse the files on your iPhone like you would any other removable media storage.
Download and install iPhone Explorer (see Resources). When you have finished installing iPhone Explorer, connect your iPhone to your computer using the iPhone USB cable and start iPhone Explorer. A Windows Explorer-like window will appear allowing you to browse, drag and drop, or copy files to and from your iPhone.
Download and install iPhone List on your computer (see Resources). Connect your iPhone to your computer using the iPhone USB cable. Once installation of iPhone List is complete, start the program to gain access to your iPhone's file system, which will allow you to modify and create files and folders.
Tips and warnings
- If you just want to view your pictures stored on your iPhone, you can do so without any additional software and just by connecting your iPhone to your computer using the iPhone USB cable. Once it's connected, click "Start," click "Computer" and double-click on your iPhone's icon under "Devices with Removable Storage."
- The iPhone's file system employs a feature called "sand boxing" that won't allow a user to change or make adjustments to some of the files. If you are using a jailbroken iPhone, this does not apply, but be very careful when changing or making adjustments to files, as they may cause irreparable damage to your iPhone.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for