Fuel pumps are small, electrically-powered motors that move a steady amount of fuel between your vehicle's tank and its fuel injectors. The fuel pump in BMW 528i vehicles is specifically prone to a common problem for fuel pumps. After time and use, pumps can become clogged with contaminants from bad gas, causing them to fail. When this happens, you must remove the pump from your BMW 528i so it can be cleaned or replaced. Doing so requires a few basic tools and 15 to 45 minutes.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Car ramps
- Crescent wrench
- 10mm socket wrench
Pull your BMW on to car ramps and place it in park. Be sure to set your emergency brake to prevent the possibility of rolling or sliding.
Lift the vehicle's bonnet and use a crescent wrench to disconnect the negative (black) terminal from the auto battery.
Climb under the vehicle and locate the fuel pump along the fuel line between the fuel tank and the engine carriage assembly. The fuel pump is a small, cylindrical, jutting part on the fuel line with a bolt end on both sides.
Remove the electrical connection from the side of the fuel pump using a 10mm socket wrench.
Twist the valve on the tank side of the fuel line clockwise until it is tight. This will stop the flow of fuel between the tank and the pump.
Use a crescent wrench to loosen the bolt ends on both sides of the fuel pump. Hold the fuel pump firm as you loosen these bolts.
Slide the fuel pump out of its housing and away from the fuel line assembly.
Tips and warnings
- When considering a replacement fuel pump, don't be afraid to spend a few extra dollars on a high-performance pump. It may actually save you money in the end.
- Always stay aware of pinch points when working around automotive parts.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for