There are thousands of ways to made a 3-D puzzle toy, depending on the age of the person you are making the toy for and your level of skill with woodworking tools. 3-D puzzle toys make good gifts or you can simply have them as conversation starters when you have visitors. To make a 3-D puzzle toy, you need to be able to analyse the plans so that you know how to make the cuts and then use the proper tools to make the puzzle pieces.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 3-D puzzle plans
- Mitre saw or jigsaw (if necessary)
- Paint or finish (optional)
Choose the puzzle plan that you want to make based on your woodworking skill level and how challenging you want the puzzle to be. See Resources for several free 3-D wood puzzle pattern resources.
Cut the wooden pieces according to the plans. You may need to use a mitre saw or jigsaw if the plans call for it.
Sand the cut edges of each piece until they are smooth and the pieces slide easily in and out of position.
Paint or apply finish to the pieces if desired.
Tips and warnings
- A very simple way to make a 3-D puzzle is to take a cube-shaped piece of wood and cut it into nine or 16 equal smaller cubes. You then glue two, three or four cubes together in shapes that will fit back together to make the larger cube.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for