While the damage may appear to be considerable, the wooden chair that your dog chewed on can be repaired. With the right approach and attention to detail, wooden furniture can be repaired to good condition even when it's been severely damaged. High-performance wood filler will fix the chewed areas of the chair, and allow you to make a seamless repair. This type of filler is similar to that used in auto body repair and can be shaped to make the needed details to fix even ornate furniture.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Scratch awl
- Sandpaper, 120, 180-grit
- High-performance wood filler, one can
- Putty knife
- Tack cloth
- Wood finish
- Poly brush
Puncture the area surrounding the chewed part of the wooden chair with the point of a scratch awl. Push the awl into the surface approximately 1/4 inch. This will give the wood filler something to adhere to around the damaged area.
Sand the area around the repair with 120-grit sandpaper to scuff the finish, also to allow the filler to adhere to the wood around the damaged part.
Mix the wood filler with the activator, using a putty knife. The activator comes with the filler can in a squeeze tube. Once the activator is mixed into the filler, you will have to work quickly. The filler hardens within 5 to 10 minutes.
Press the filler into the chewed area of the chair. Shape the filler with the putty knife so that it roughly blends in with the rest of the furniture part.
Allow the filler to dry for 15 to 20 minutes. Sand the filler with a progression of 120 to 180-grit paper. Blend the repaired area to match the rest of the furniture part, sanding the filler until the repair is seamless.
Wipe the repaired area down with a tack cloth to clean off any dust.
Brush on a matching wood finish with a poly brush. Allow the finish to dry at least 72 hours before you return the chair to use.
Tips and warnings
- Mix only enough filler to repair the area you are working on. If you are doing several repairs, it is best to mix a small batch for each repair.
- Wear eye protection when you are sanding wood. Apply high-performance wood filler and wood finish in a well-ventilated area.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for