Sustaining a chip fat burn can be extremely painful. It's important to remain calm and treat the burn as soon as is possible before addressing whether or not medical assistance will be required. Make the burn victim as comfortable as possible after the event so an assessment can be made as to the severity of the injury and what further action is necessary.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Moisturising lotion
- Sterile gauze
Move the victim away from the chip pan and cooking oil.
Remove any clothing or jewelery close to the burn.
Cool the burn under lukewarm running water or apply a clean, damp cloth, if this causes too much discomfort. Do not use a towel or a blanket to soak the injury.
Apply the lotion and dress the burn with the sterile gauze.
Administer an over-the-counter pain reliever containing paracetamol or ibuprofen.
Contact a medical professional to discuss whether further treatment will be necessary.
Tips and warnings
- If the burn sustained covers a large area of skin, cover with a damp cloth and make sure that the victim is breathing and as comfortable as possible before immediately seeking medical attention.
- Do not apply ice to a burn. This can cause frostbite.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for