It's exciting to upgrade to a larger display for your PlayStation 3. Watching movies is more immersive, and often you can enjoy your video games at higher resolutions. When you use a bigger screen, sometimes you need new cables, and sometimes you need to adjust the system settings to optimise your viewing experience. After a few steps to set up the cables and then a few more to set up the console, you will be ready to enjoy your new, larger display with your PS3.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- One Video cable
- One PS3 controller or remote
Choose the resolution for the bigger TV screen. If the display is standard definition, you'll need to use 480p resolution. If the screen is high definition, you should use 720i, 720p, 1080i or 1080p. Refer to the display's manual for your screen's capabilities.
Connect the correct cables to the TV and the PS3. You should do this while the console is turned off. For standard resolution, you can use RCA (composite) or S-video. For high-resolution, use component or HDMI.
Turn on the display and select the input for the PS3 system. You should select the input type that corresponds to the label for the connectors that you plugged the PS3 into.
Navigate to the "Settings" option on the XMB menu, then select "Display Settings."
Select "Video Output Settings."
Highlight the type of cable you used to connect to the display. Press the right directional key to proceed.
Check all compatible resolutions based on your display's manual. Press the right directional key to proceed.
Confirm your selections when the system prompts you. The display resolution will change now.
Confirm that the resolution is working properly for your screen.
Select the correct aspect ratio for your system, if the PS3 prompts you. Select whichever option your screen is; typically standard-definition screens are 4:3 and high-definition screens are 16:9.
Tips and warnings
- If you cannot see any image on the TV, you may need to reset the PS3 video output to its default settings. You do this when the system is in standby mode with the red indicator light on. After the cables are connected, you must press and hold the power button until you hear the system beep twice.
- If you made a mistake when selecting the resolution setting in the PS3, your display may go blank because it may receive a signal it does not understand. Simply wait for 30 seconds, and the PS3 will revert to the previous settings.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for