If you have an avid golfer in your family, consider creating a golf-themed birthday cake to celebrate. The finished product looks just like a grassy green golf course with a golf ball waiting to be driven towards the putting green. Your family member will appreciate the time and effort that went into decorating the perfect golf birthday cake and guests will be surprised at how a few edible ingredients can look just like a golf green.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 450 g canned white frosting
- Green food colouring
- Yellow food colouring
- Sheet cake
- Plastic baggies
- 2 graham crackers or digestive biscuits
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 red fruit leather
- 1 toothpick
- 1 chocolate chip
- 1 small white gumball or other sweet
Mix the white frosting with several drops of green food colouring and a few drops of yellow food colouring. Add drops of both colours until the frosting is a bright green colour.
Spread the bright green frosting over the cake, covering the top and the sides completely.
Crumble up the graham crackers by putting them in a plastic bag and crushing the bag well. Sprinkle the crushed graham crackers in a circular pile at one end of the cake, several inches across. Place the small white sweet on the circle as a golf ball.
Mix the coconut with the water in the bag, and add several drops of green and yellow food colouring until the coconut is a bright green colour. Spread the coconut evenly over the top of the cake, leaving the circle with the graham cracker crumbs bare, and leaving a small circle at the opposite corner of the cake free of coconut. This second circle will be the putting green.
Cut a small triangle out of the red fruit leather and curl the larger end of the triangle around the top of a toothpick to make a flag. Press the flag into the end of the putting green. Place the chocolate chip right next to the flag to represent the hole.
Tips and warnings
- You can use marshmallow fondant to create a golf club, a golf ball (instead of the white sweet) or even a golfer. Alternatively, you can buy miniature versions of these objects to place on the cake.
- If you would like to write "Happy Birthday" on the cake, make sure to leave plenty of room in the centre of the cake. You can also write it along the side of the cake on the green icing.
- A rectangular sheet cake works best for this method of decorating because it has more room on it. You can make a smaller version out of a large circular cake.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for