A needle felted dog sculpture would make a wonderful custom gift for the dog lover in your life. With a little time, effort and planning, you could make a needle felted dog that resembles your favourite pooch. Needle felting is a long, time honoured technique that can give a more realistic look to your stuffed dog sculpture than you can achieve with regular fabric alone.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Fabric that is at least 80 per cent animal fibre
- Sewing needle
- Needle felting tool
- Needle felting brush
- Pattern pieces for a stuffed dog
Lay the fabric out flat on a stable surface. Using the pattern pieces as your guide, cut out the fabric pieces for the dog you wish to make.
Lay the felting brush on a stable surface with the bristles pointing up. Lay a piece of fabric, right side up, on top of the felting brush.
Using the felting tool in a straight up and down motion; repeatedly poke the felting tool down through the fabric and up. It is best to work from the centre point of your piece of fabric and move outward as you go. Continue felting the fabric until you are satisfied with the look of the felted area. When you have finished the first piece of fabric, repeat this technique with the remaining pieces.
Following the pattern directions, sew the felted fabric pieces together in the appropriate order. Do not sew the entire dog shape closed; leave an opening at least 1 inch long.
Turn the sewn pieces right side out by forcing the material through the opening you left in the seam. Using the stuffing, gently stuff the dog until it reaches the desired firmness. When you are happy with the amount of stuffing inside the dog, tuck the raw edges of the material opening down into the dog and sew the opening closed.
Tips and warnings
- By varying the pattern pieces of the dog, you can make the dog in a sitting, standing or any other position.
- If you desire a poseable needle felted dog, before you stuff the dog, make a wire stick figure of a dog and feed it through the opening. Then using a scrap piece of wire, stuff the dog with stuffing, making sure there is stuffing between the wire and fabric on all sides.
- Always use proper precautions when working with needles, scissors and felting tool to ensure the safety of yourself and those around you.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for