In the Star Wars universe, the lightsaber is the primary weapon of the noble Jedi Knights as well as the evil Sith. In the film "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" the villain, Darth Maul, uses a double-bladed lightsaber to battle the Jedi. This movie prop replica is not only an easy way to accessorise a Star Wars costume, but also makes a nice addition to any collection of Star Wars memorabilia.
Things you need
16-inch double-ended extension pipe
Foam rubber weather stripping
2 rubber gaskets
Cut a 2- to 3-inch wide piece of foam rubber weather stripping. Wrap the weather stripping around the centre of the pipe, and glue it in place.
Slide several rubber O-rings over each end of the pipe. The O-rings are decorative but will also serve as the grip for the lightsaber, so use as many as you need to achieve a comfortable grip and the look you want.
Attach one rubber gasket to each end of the pipe. Slide the gaskets so they are near the ends of the pipe to give the lightsaber a finished look.
Glue two buttons to the pipe near the weather stripping. The buttons represent the power buttons, so attach them in a way that makes them easy to "press" when holding the lightsaber.
- Choose an adhesive intended for use with metal. Choose O-rings and gaskets that have a slightly smaller diameter than the pipe. This will allow them to stay in place without adhesive.
Tips and Warnings
- Choose an adhesive intended for use with metal.
- Choose O-rings and gaskets that have a slightly smaller diameter than the pipe. This will allow them to stay in place without adhesive.
Things you need
- 16-inch double-ended extension pipe
- Foam rubber weather stripping
- Rubber O-rings
- 2 rubber gaskets
- 2 buttons