It might seem impossible to play incomplete and locked AVI files, but it is actually really simple. Incomplete and locked files are generally files that are still being downloaded and can't be played until finished. Sometimes a file does not finish downloading and remains incomplete. An AVI file is also considered locked if it can only be played by a certain program. All of these problems are remedied with media players designed to repair incomplete or locked files or a repair program.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Neuview Media Player
- VLC Media Player
Double click the Neuview Media Player icon on the desktop to open the program.
Click "open" on the player. It is located on the upper right side of the player.
Locate the incomplete or locked AVI file you wish to play. Double click the file to open it.
Neuview Media Player
Double click the VLC Media Player icon on the computer desktop to open the program.
Click "Media" to open a drop-down list. Choose "Open."
Locate the AVI file you wish to play. Double click the file to open it.
VLC Media Player
Double click the DviFix icon on the desktop to open the program.
Click "Add Files." Locate the AVI file you wish to repair and double click the file.
Check the box that says "Keep Original" if you want to keep the original file. Check the box that says "Cut Out Bad Parts" if you want to remove any parts of the file that are severely corrupted.
Click "Fix" to start the repair process. It can take several minutes for repair to complete depending on the size of the file.
Tips and warnings
- The Neuview Media Player might take a few moments to start the file because it is fixing problems, downloading codecs or other tasks. Neuview does these fixes so you don't have to.
- Neuview is not a free player, but plays the most files.
- VLC Media Player might require you to download extra codecs or files to play the AVI.
- AVI files repaired through DivFix++ can be played on any media player, but will have the best results with Neuview or VLC media player.
- Not all incomplete or locked AVI files can be played. Sometimes they are corrupted and cannot be fixed. Try re-downloading the file.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for