Waterproof grease is made with a silicone base, so it is also known as silicone grease. Grease is sometimes used on rubber seals to help protect the seal and allow for movement if needed so the seal doesn't get stuck. This is necessary for certain valves on boating equipment in order to keep the equipment functioning properly, even if it does get soaked with water.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Paper towels
Expose the rubber seal so you can reach in and apply the waterproof or silicone grease. You may need a wrench if you are working on boat valves.
Dab your finger into the silicone grease and then rub it all over the seal as needed. You want to make sure you have at least a thin layer. If you need a lot of movement for the seal or around the seal, make the layer of silicone grease thick.
Wipe off your finger and excess grease with the paper towels.
Reapply as needed during the preliminary inspection of your aquatic equipment.
Tips and warnings
- Silicone or waterproof grease can be purchased at some home improvement stores, sports shops and online.
- Failure to lubricate seals properly before use can result in unsafe equipment and injury.
- Rubber can be damaged by petroleum-based lubricants, which is why you should use silicone-based waterproof grease, according to the book, "How Boat Things Work: An Illustrated Guide."
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for