How to Remove the Radiator Hose in a Volkswagen Passat

Updated February 21, 2017

The radiator on the Volkswagen Passat is located just behind the front grill and has both an upper and lower radiator hose that run from the radiator to the engine. Occasionally, a radiator hose can develop a crack or hole in the part, causing a loss of fluid and the vehicle to eventually overheat. Removing the radiator hose to repair or replace the part is a fairly simple job that you can do yourself in about an hour.

Place a drain pan on the ground below the drain valve at the bottom of the Volkswagen Passat radiator. Remove the radiator cap from the top of the radiator and set it off to the side.

Take the rubber coolant overflow hose off the top of the radiator and remove the cap from the coolant overflow reservoir on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Open the drain valve at the bottom of the radiator with a pair of pliers and let the coolant drain out of the radiator.

Locate the radiator hoses that are attached near the top and bottom of the radiator with screw clamps. Unfasten the screw clamp on the hose you need to remove with a screwdriver and twist the radiator hose by hand to remove it from the radiator.

Flow the hose to the end that is attached to the engine block and unfasten the screw clamp with a screwdriver. Twist the end of the hose near the block and slide the hose off the flange.

Remove the radiator hose from the engine compartment of the Volkswagen Passat.


To avoid burns, let the engine of the Volkswagen Passat cool down before attempting to remove the radiator hose.

Things You'll Need

  • Drain pan
  • Pliers
  • Screwdriver
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Carl Pruit has been a freelance writer since 2005, specializing in service journalism and travel. His work has appeared on various websites. Born and raised in California, Pruit attended Contra Costa Community College in San Pablo, Calif. and received an associate degree in the administration of justice.