Programming a surround system to work with your DirecTV remote control is a simple process. With the correct programming code, your DirecTV remote control can control the surround sound system's volume and possibly access all the surround sound system's options.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Find the model number on your DirecTV remote control. It is printed in the remote control's upper left corner.
Select your remote control's model number on DirecTV's Remote Control Code Lookup web page. The web page is linked in the Resources section. When you find your remote control's model number on the page, click on it. Another web page will appear.
Select the Audio link on the page that appeared.
Specify the surround sound system. Type its brand and model (optional) in the appropriate boxes on the page, and then select it. A five-digit programming code will display.
Click on the first code displayed. Occasionally, multiple codes will display; if the first code you try does not work, try the other codes.
Set the "Mode Switch" to AV 2 on your DirecTV remote control. This will get your control ready so you can add your five-digit programming code.
Press and hold the "Mute" button and the "Select" button on the remote control until the visible light-emitting diode (LED) blinks twice.
Enter the five-digit programming code.
Test the set-up. If you can't control the surround sound system's volume with the DirecTV remote control, then try a new programming code. Set the "Mode Switch" to AV 2 on your DirecTV remote control. Press and hold the "Mute" button and the "Select" button until the visible LED blinks twice. Enter the next five-digit programming code on your list. Keep testing until the set-up works.
Tips and warnings
- If you can find no codes that work, contact DirecTV customer service. Sometimes it has codes that have not yet been placed on the DirecTV website.
- Not all surround sound systems have codes compatible with DirecTV remote controls. In that case, a universal learning control is your best solution.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for