Stencilling letters on walls has become quite popular. You can stencil the initials of your child, for example, famous quotes, sayings or even the alphabet. You don't need to be an artist to accomplish this task. What you do need, however, are a few simple supplies and a little time.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Heavy paper
- Utility knife
- Painter's tape
- Painter's plastic
- Stencil brush
Buy or make your letter stencils. You can find pre-cut stencils at your local home improvement centre or craft store. If you are going to make them, be sure to use paper that is heavy, or try using cardboard and cutting the letters out with a utility knife.
Place your stencil on the wall and secure it to the wall around the outside edges with painter's tape. Painter's tape will hold your stencil in place and it comes off easily, without pulling the paint off of the wall. Be sure your stencil lies flat against the wall when you secure it.
Lay painter's plastic on the floor to catch any drips.
Using a round stencil paintbrush, dab the end of the brush in the paint. You want to be careful not to load the brush too much with paint to prevent the paint from running underneath the stencil, or down the wall.
Firmly hold the stencil against the wall with one hand, ensuring that the outline of the letter is as close to the wall as possible. Doing this will give your letters sharp edges. You may want to move your hand along the edges of the stencil as you paint.
Use the stencil brush and carefully dab the paint on the wall, inside of the stencil. Work your way out to the edges of the letters slowly. Be sure you catch any dripping paint with your brush.
Allow the painted letters to dry before you remove the stencils from the wall. This will prevent any smearing of the letters.
Tips and warnings
- Make sure your paint is mixed thoroughly before you begin to paint. Unmixed paint will be watery and will cause your paint to run.
- If you cannot purchase stencils, or you don't want to make them yourself, some sites on the Internet will allow you to print stencils for free.
- Acrylic paint works best because it cleans up with soap and water and dries much more quickly than oil-based paint.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for