Inaccurate drawings can lead to massive disasters in professional engineering and architecture. Hand drafting falls victim to poorly placed rulers, shaky hands and simple human error. This is why computer drafting software like Autodesk AutoCAD LT have become the industry standard in those fields. Precisely measuring your drawings helps to keep them accurate, and can prevent a lot of headaches down the road.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Autodesk AutoCAD LT
Open the drawing you wish to measure in AutoCAD LT.
Type "DIST" and press "Enter."
Left-click once at the beginning of the line you want to measure.
Left-click once at the end of the line you want to measure. The distance of the line will now be shown as text following your cursor until you left-click anywhere on the drawing.
Tips and warnings
- Consider enabling the "snap" option for endpoints if you are having trouble clicking on the precise end or beginning of your line.
- The DIST command measures the distance between two points in a straight line. If you are measuring anything but a straight line, you will want to use the "MEASUREGEOM" command to get the total length.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for